From 1939 to 1945, a civilian underground administration called the Government Delegature (Delegatura Rzadu) existed in occupied Poland. The Delegature represented the London-based Polish government-in-exile.
Warsaw was divided into administrative units such as regions, districts, blocks and houses. At the top of this structure a Delegate for the Capital performed functions similar to those of a mayor.
Centrally controlled administration existed during the Uprising in the City Centre, Old Town, Zoliborz, Mokotow, and Czerniakow regions. It was responsible for organizing and providing the following services:
|Civilians watching a plane while building a barricade||[ close ]|